"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away." -Matt. 24:35 NKJVI meditated on that verse today as I was also meditating on the passage that some sisters and I read last week, in John 13:1-17. I've read those verses before when I was a kid, and also tried out washing fellow brothers and sisters' feet as well! But Renza showed us something new I didn't know before, besides being a humble leader. When Jesus asks us to wash each others' feet, what does He mean by it?
Renza informed us of the routines of going to bed in Jesus's time. The bathing area was away from the chambers so when they were all cleaned up they would walk back to their chambers. On the way, their feet would get dirty (think about the sand and dirt!). When they get to the chambers, servants would wash the feet. It's usually a three person job, one pours the water, one rinses the feet, and the other one dries it. Talk about pampering! In verse 10, Jesus says to Peter (who wanted to be washed head to toe), "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean...". The path to the resting place is a dirty one. Have you ever looked at the bottom of your feet after you've walked around in the house after a shower? You'll notice how quickly your feet gets covered with dust (yes, even after you've cleaned the floors! Unless you live in a vacuum...).
This is an analogy for our paths in life (not the vacuum part, the getting our feet dirty on the way to bed). We're all going to the same destination, but along that path; along that journey, we will face many difficulties. We may even get our "feet dirty" during that journey. Jesus asks us to "wash one another's feet" (John 13:14). He did this as an "example, that you should do as [He has] done to you." (John 13:15)
Sisters, may we support each other. May we help each other wash one another's feet and help bring us each other back on the right path. Do you know a sister who is struggling to reconnect with God and this family? Do you know a sister who is or has wandered away from the Lord and the truth? May we focus our eyes above, do not get lost in this world as Matthew 24:35 says, "heaven and earth will pass away...". May we anchor ourselves in the truths and the Lord, and help throw each other the life saver when we recognize the need for it. May we (not literally, but if you want to..) wash each other's feet.
With love,
-Kay


3 Responses:
i will wash your feet!!! SISTERSS!
metaphorically and literally hahahhhahah =)
Literally?? Muahahaha... I'm first! :) I'm kidding... NOBODY touches my feet...
Kay, your blogs remind me alot of Max Lucado's writing style. :) Funny and smart. :)
I concur! Let us be each other's support... humbling ourselves and remembering that no matter how stinky other people's feet are... Jesus loves them and would kneel down to wash their feet without a moment of doubt!
Max Lucado's writing style is a good read to give to younger brothers and sisters! I like that he uses simple terms and jargon to get his message across. Short sentences to allow the reader to pause mid paragraph and reflect. As well as his funny and smart punch lines here and there.
But for me, it doesn't seem to provoke much thought even though the message has gotten through to me--nada, going on in the noggin'. I try to ignore it and look past it and try to focus on the main point and message of the book.
Although I'm not a big fan of his writing style, I like his underlying meaning of his messages.
I guess we all have different reading styles. lol
Post a Comment