I shared this with a sister and thought I'd share this with you all too. Lately I've been under quite some stress, And because of this stress, hours of sleep were impossible to achieve. Socializing with friends also increased last week, and so eating out and drinking happened quite frequently. I also stopped exercising to make more time to study. And worst of all of these, I haven't kept a balanced diet; my diet consisted mostly of grains rather than vegetables, protein, and iron. So finally, yesterday, I felt as if my body was a broken down 95' Dodge Caravan. My liver felt sore, my head was pounding, my legs were unable to stand from all the walking I did on Saturday, and the need for sleep was weighing me down. This was greatly affecting my school work; with not enough sleep I wasn't able to pay attention in class--and most importantly, it was affecting how I would pursue the Lord!
Lately, I think brothers and sisters can relate to this stress--lot's of stuff going on and this ability to maintain ourselves seems to be at challenge. I remember when Renza was still in Toronto, she would always stress the importance of health. She was such a hardcore jogger! Exercise to me, seems like physical pain to put on the body, and why would anyone want that? But Renza was still able to do her exercise and continue doing everything else. Superwoman!
I came to realize (last night while in complete pain), that a balance needs to be maintained. A balance needs to be found in other to excel in school yet not to jeopardize my health. Our bodies on earth are so weak and can cause us to fail. In 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 it says,
"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."I remember my first funeral as a kid I asked my dad where people go when they died (that's part of his testimony of how our family went back to church btw), and he told me that their spirits go to heaven and that they don't stay in the body. The body is empty. And so since then I imagined my body as this vessel that would carry my spirit around--like a car, except I'm in it permanently until I die. Yet, our bodies are still weak and vulnerable to physical and spiritual attacks.
We need to love the Lord in all our heart, soul and mind, so we cannot also forget to keep our minds healthy as well. When our bodies are weak this can affect our physical strength making it vulnerable to sickness, and when our mental health is deteriorating, this can be vulnerable to spiritual attacks. Body and mind work together: keep our bodies strong, it can keep our mind strong as well.
Reflecting on the messages the past few weeks about the eternal life, I really give thanks that we can look forward into the future when we are in our heavenly city--our bodies will be transformed! (like autobots). Then our bodies will stop being our excuse for not waking up on time for worship, for falling asleep in meetings, for farting during lunch (wasn't me!). But in the meantime, I will be making a whole new set of health goals for myself by cutting the bad habits I put my body through. I hope I can take better care of this body...like a rusty old car--tune it up to keep it working so it can get me where I need to go spiritually.
With love,
-Kay


1 Responses:
love love love this post :)
it's so true! i gotta remind myself to live a healthy-ER lifestyle, both physically and mentally (spiritually)
let's keep striving for the Lord and take good care of this temporary home our spirits are living in :D
Post a Comment